9. INDIAN COUNCIL OF HISTORICAL RESEARCH, NEW DELHI
Indian Council of Historical Research is an autonomous organization which was established under Societies Registration Act (Act XXI of 1860) in 1972. The objectives of the Indian Council of Historical Research (hereafter referred to as the ‘Council’) as laid down in the Memorandum of Association are as follows:
- To bring historians together and provide a forum for exchange of views between them.
- To give a national direction to an objective and scientific writing of history and to have a rational presentation and interpretation of history.
- To promote, accelerate and coordinate research in history with special emphasis on areas which have not received adequate attention so far.
- To promote and coordinate a balanced distribution of research effort over different areas.
- To elicit support and recognition for historical research from all concerned and ensure the necessary dissemination and use of results.
In pursuance of these objectives (a) the Council provides fellowships and financial assistance to the young teachers in colleges, universities and registered research organizations, as well as to senior scholars who might need financial support, (b) brings historians together by providing financial assistance for holding symposia, seminars, workshops, etc. for exchanging views related to history, (c) provides publication subsidy to the seminars, congress proceedings and journals so that these publications may reach to researchers and scholars, (d) publishes a biannual Journal – the Indian Historical Review, and another journal i.e. Itihas in Hindi, (e) maintains a large and expanding Library-cum-Documentation Centre exclusively for researchers and scholars, (f) maintains two regional centres namely ICHR North-East Regional Centre (Guwahati) and ICHR Southern Regional Centre (Bangalore), which provide assistance to researchers / scholars, (g) and takes such other measures as the Council considers appropriate in order to implement the stated objectives of the Indian Council of Historical Research.